Whatever your current situation is, heroically working on the front lines in healthcare or essential services, working from home, or furloughed, for the first time in our lives, we literally have no place to go. There is no FOMO, (fear of missing out) because with all the closures and cancellations, there isn’t anything to miss.
Instead, we have been given the gift of JOMO, (joy of missing out), with the gift of time to spend with ourselves. Time gives us the opportunity to:
- Slow down, examine and evaluate all the things we used to think were important that kept us so busy.
- Appreciate all the freedoms we used to take for granted.
- Re-invent ourselves by remembering what really matters most.
- Do things differently like a virtual happy hour.
- Be more resourceful by trusting your husband to color your hair!
Of course, JOMO also comes with waves of frustration, fear, and even sadness because slowing down to spend time with ourselves means we get to feel ALL of our feelings more intensely: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The JOMO of our regular routines can make room for some new ones to come in. Spend 5 minutes with yourself today and ask, What can I do or How do I want to be different with this gift of time?